Thursday, April 10, 2008

Zdzisław Beksiński: Visual Genius

Zdzisław Beksiński (1929-2005) was a Polish painter, photographer, and fantasy artist. He also happens to be one of the most amazing visual artists I've ever seen. His paintings are nothing short of breathtaking, and I cannot for the life of me recall having ever seen such disturbing yet beautiful works. There is not a single piece of Beksiński's that has graced my vision that I cannot take time out of my day to examine and think about.



Beksiński has been able to evoke several emotions from me (which in and of itself is a difficult enough task) solely through simple brush strokes. His paintings describe a hellish-like nightmare while simultaneously examining the complex beauty and depth of creative potential that we as sentient life forms possess.



Where others have constantly failed, Beksiński seems to have been able to produce works capable of sending shivers down the spines of even the most stalwart abstract fanatics. His works are not just terrifying, but hauntingly reassuring of the connectedness of the universe. Beksiński also reminds us of our insignificance through beautifully complex and grand portraits of worlds untainted by human hands. His glorious works are almost too amazing for words, but I'm sure if anyone had ones to appropriately match the daunting intricacies of his works it would most certainly be H.P. Lovecraft.




















More of Beksiński's work can be found at this online gallery as well as his official webpage, http://www.beksinski.pl/.

-K

No comments: